Tucked away in a quiet residential neighborhood sits the High Water Pumping Station.
It is one of 22 stations that move water from Lake Ontario to the higher elevations in Toronto. It was built in 1906 to replace the Yorkville station that serviced what used to be the town of Yorkville and was expanded in 1910.
These are the maps of the entire water grid for the city of Toronto.
There are 10 pumps operating in this location and it is the only station that is fully manned for 24 hours a day.
A lot of these gages are kept more for show,but from here the city keeps track of all incoming water to ensure a steady flow and pressure.
The building was designated a Heritage Site in 1985
From all accounts this is the last working steam driven pump in existence in Toronto.Great place to visit and a reminder that whenever we turn on a tap or flush, these people are on the job making sure that the water will be there.
As always Enjoy Toronto !